Create your own easy Pin Stripes

Hi everyone! Amy Prior here today to share a fabulous and easy little tutorial on how to make your own Pin Striped backgrounds. Best thing about stripes is they never seem to go out of fashion!!!!


Today I am going to create a card and although I am starting off with this amazing fun 6x6 paper from Prima, I am actually going to create my own background using this baby as a base. First off you will need some Double Sided Tape in any size you like. I decided to use 3 different sizes here. 


Rip off pieces of the Double Sided Tape and place them on your page to make stripes. You can do them as close or as far apart as you like and you can do any pattern you like if you are using more than 1 thickness. 


Once the Double Sided Tape is all adhered, trim off the excess using your craft knife or a pair of scissors. I found this step easier by flipping it all upside down and using my craft knife carefully.


Next step of course is to remove the backing off the tape. My girls helped with this part LOL they think it is so much fun peeling the backing tape off me whenever i get out the trusty double sided tape roll haha.


For the next step I have simply sprinkled some WOW Suzy West Cable Car Red Embossing Powder over the top of the tape and paper and then tapped off the excess.  


The next step is of course to heat that baby and watch the magic of the powder melting. Best part about the WOW powders is that there is almost never any static cling so no need to get out a paint brush to clean up edges etc. 


Voila! An almost perfect pinstriped background. Now there is a little chunk missing that I could easily go and fix up using an Embossing Marker and some more Cable Car Red but I have some distressful plans for this pinstriped background so I am just gonna leave it and work it haha. 


Now I am onto embellishments for my card and firstly I wanted to make some cute flags to sit amongst some kind of cluster. I have again used 6x6 papers from Prima Marketing and these are from the new CHA released Craftsman Collection which is probably one of my fave masculine collections ever released from any brand. I find the easiest way to make my flags is to cover a rectangle of patterned paper with some doublesided tape (on the back of course). I would then curl it over and bend and squish on the toothpick then I can snip it into a flag with my scissors. I have diamond dies that work as well but I find they don't look as neat because you don't have that extra amount to wrap around the toothpick. 


Once the flags were cut, I wanted to add some embossing to the edges so I have inked up the edges of the flags and embossed them using Suzy West Cable Car Red WOW Embossing Powder as well as Azure Blue WOW Embossing Powder. To ink the edges up nicely I have used a piece of Tim Holtz Blending Foam and very roughly applied embossing ink to the edges. I also inked the toothpick as well. 


I found a couple more embellishments that I wanted to use and decided to add a bit more grunge to them using Suzy West Skyline Grey Puff WOW Embossing Powder. The Skyline Grey is my go to powder for anything grungey as I just love the gritty effect it has. Again using my Blending Foam, I have roughly added some Embossing Ink to these couple of embellishments. 


Now we are getting somewhere but I wanted to add some more distressed features so I have used some Archival Ink along with the fabulous Script Stamp from the WOW Call Me! Stamp Collection. I just love the script on this stamp and I decided to use my blending tool so only the script part of the stamp was inked up. I then added some subtle bits of the script to each of the embellishments and then I inked the edges  as well. 


To add some script to my background, I did not want to add blocks so I have added ink tot he stamp in very random small amounts and instead of using a stamp block, I have curled the stamp onto the page using my hand and only putting pressure on little sections at a time. I wasn't worried if I smudged it a little as it helps with the over all distress effect I was going for.  I then inked the edges up as well.


Next I decided I wanted some shine and glimmer as I always do, so I have sprayed randomly some Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls Mist over my background and my embellishments. As you can see in the background  I have also stamped a Gratitude Ticket onto some cardstock using some Azure Blue WOW Embossing Powder. I then could assemble my card when everything was dry...


The finished card is yes as little over the top but that is usually how I roll! hahahahaha. This Sunday is Father's Day here in Australia so this will be a father's day card for the man in my life who I am ever so grateful for every single day. My girls loved helping me make this one and yes I would have changed it a little but it's always better when it is from them creatively of course.


Some fabulous closeups show the beautiful texture and colours of those gorgeous WOW Embossing Powders.


Checkout the cute Grateful Ticket Stamp that was fussycut and poking out of the cluster. The fabulous star is from Charm's Creation and isn't it fabulous? I have these in almost every colour haha.


Closeup of another part of that fabulous Charm's Creation Star and the gorgeous flags. I think flags go with anything who agrees?


Lastly a little closeup details of a very shiny background. Sorry about these terrible pictures but you can tell by the sequence of pics when it got dark in my house haha. Will try update pics tomorrow for you all.

Well that is it from me this morning, I hope you have been inspired to try different fun embossing techniques using more than just Embossing Ink. More fun ideas include making your own chevron pattern or just bordering your pages etc. Have fun with it!

Until next time...happy scrapping!

Amy Prior xxx

Comments