Mixed-Media Nature Canvas

Hi everyone!

My name is Marsha Valk and I'm happy to be guest blogging here today!

I'm a scrapbooker/crafter from the Netherlands and one of the regular contributors to Scrap365 magazine. You may also have seen some of my cards in Craft Stamper recently.

I love to use stamps and embossing powders in my projects and I can't wait to share with you what I've created with this month's nature theme in mind!


For this small 8x8" canvas I took inspiration from an illustration by Alice Lickens in a Flow magazine publication. (BTW. Flow is by far my favourite Dutch magazine!)

I started with a square of gesso in the middle of the canvas that I applied using a hotel key card. Once that was touch dry, I covered the square part with three colours of yellow/green ink and let the gesso and ink dry thoroughly for a couple of hours.

The two flowers in the background were drawn with a VersaMarker (you can of course use a WOW! Embossing Pen for that!) and embossed with Clear Gloss Regular before I added several coats of green spray ink and water to create the resist effect.


The dots of glitter are actually dots of Blue Lagoon, which is one of the brilliant embossing glitters in the Girls Night Out Kit.

To create the orange plant I drew the stalk and leaves with a brown Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen and then added the berries by applying orange pigment ink through Nathalie Kalbach's What's the Point Stencil.

Next step was embossing the berries with Opaque Primary Mandarin Regular. And it turned out that my drawing underneath wasn't completely dry yet, so everything got covered in orange embossing powder... Ah well!

The white highlights on the berries were achieved with my embossing pen and Opaque Bright White Regular. All other white details were added with a Sharpie.

The black frame was again drawn with my embossing pen and then embossed with Primary Ebony Super Fine. I masked off outside the frame before I stamped and embossed the leaves.

I used a grey Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen to add some shadowing and in the end I decided to cover the outside of the black frame with a thin coat of gesso. A couple drops of black ink were the finishing touch!

Thank you so much WOW! for having me as a guest blogger and thank YOU for reading!

Have a wonderful Sunday!

Marsha.

Comments

  1. I really like the format and the framing you have used! Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Doris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project, Marsha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tania!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment